Want to learn more about the Gold Rush? Interested in identifying the plants you might see on your trip? Curious about native traditions and culture? With years of expertise, we know where to find this information. Below is a list of recommended books by topic that you might want to read before or after your trip.
ALASKAN TRAVEL & LIFE
- Jack London. The Call of the Wild - A classic tale of life during the gold rush of 1898.
- John Muir. Travels in Alaska - Still poignant, Muir captures the essence of the state while describing early expeditions through Glacier Bay.
- Robert Service. Collected Poems - The works of the quintesential northern poet.
- Jon Krakauer. Into the Wild - The story of Christopher McCandless set against tales of outdoor pioneers.
- Joe McGiniss. Going to Extremes - Stories of the oil boom and travel in Alaska in the 1980s.
- Heather Lende. If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name - tales of life in a small Alaskan town from a Haines Native.
GOLD RUSH HISTORY
- Pierre Berton. Klondike Fever - the best narration of the Klondike Gold Rush by one of Canada's premier Gold Rush historians.
- Graham Wilson. The Klondike Gold Rush: Photographs from 1896-1899 - A great photgraphic essay of the Gold Rush.
- Grahama Wilson. The White Pass and Yukon Route Railway - A history of the contruction of the mighty WPYR.
PLANT AND WILDLIFE IDENTIFICATION
- George West. A Birder's Guide to Alaska - A comprehensive guide to hundreds of Alaska's birds.
- Robert Armstrong. Alaska's Birds - A pocket guide to several of Alaska's birds.
- Robert Armstrong. Alaska's Fish - A pocket guide to several of Alaska's fish.
- Dave Smith. Alaska's Mammals - A pocket guide to the major Alaskan mammal species.
- Janice Schofield. Alaska's Wild Plants - A pocket guide to the major Alaskan plant species.
- Hariette Parker. Alaska's Mushrooms - A pocket guide to micology and Alaskan species.
- Jim Pojar. Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast, Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska - A comprehensive guide to plant life.
GEOLOGY, CLIMATE, ENVIRONMENT
- Cathy Connor & Daniel O'Haire. Roadside Geology of Alaska - a great overview of the unique Alaskan geology.
- Michael Collier. Sculpted by Ice: Glaciers and the Alaskan Landscape - A fantastic photographic study of glaciology.
- Neil Davis. Aurora Watcher's Handbook - A scientific overview and handbook for viewing the Northern Lights.
NATIVE CULTURE AND TRADITION
- Suzanne Morgan Williams. Tlingit Indians - An overview of Tlingit culture and history.
- David Hancock. Tlingit: Their Art and Culture
- Maria Shaa Tlaa Williams. The Alaska Native Reader: History, Culture, Politics - a great overview of the heritage of Alaskan natives.